My husband and I are currently flying home from a short visit with his mom. We’re flying from the warm, sunny south back north, where we’re expecting a few inches of snow tomorrow.
I brought along a book to read while traveling: “The Good and Beautiful God: Falling in Love with the God Jesus Knows” by James Bryan Smith. It’s quite timely, with Valentine’s Day right around the corner!
I’ve only finished Chapter 3, and can already highly recommend this encouraging resource for anyone who needs a refresher on just how good God really is.
Each chapter in the book ends with an exercise in soul training, and I’m going to share my current exercise with you!
James writes, “Counting your blessings is a powerful spiritual exercise. Make a list of all of the things God has blessed you with, all of the things that make life wonderful” (p. 70).
Since I’m in the air, literally, I’ve got plenty of time to build a list! Let’s see how many items I can add before the flight ends (not listed in any particular order!)…
- Our fight was delayed, but the delay was shorter than expected and we just may catch our connecting flight!
- The great variety we find in creation–I discovered live oak hammocks during our visit. So cool! There must be a blog post in there somewhere…
- Sight to enjoy watching alligators swim, birds fly, and flowers follow the sun
- Smell to enjoy the aroma of fresh-brewed coffee, hot out-of-the-oven bread, and fresh strawberries
- Hearing to enjoy morning bird songs, symphonies, and rolling thunder
- Touch to be able to feel the difference between weed and flower stems, as well as to enjoy fluffy cat fur and the texture of pages in old books
- How available God’s Word is to us, in so many forms
- The ability to join with other Christ followers for wisdom and encouragement for our journey
- Blue skies and fluffy clouds
- Storm clouds and crazy weather
- My family
- My dog
- My flower garden, where I can play in the dirt
- Technology that allows me to carry a phone, camera, and computer all in one little piece of equipment that fits in my pocket
- Pizza, lasagna, and spaghetti
- Coffee creamer (I like a little coffee with my creamer, not the other way around!)
- Key Lime Pie, homemade Hershey’s chocolate cake, and homemade apple pie
- A house with room for our family to live together
- A warm coat
- Snow boots
- Energy to explore the outdoors
- Washer and dryer to clean laundry
- Grand babies ❤
- Comfortable shoes
- Macaroni and cheese
- Mountain vistas
- Forest trails
- Wild ocean waves
- Signs of spring
- Fall leaves
- Faithfulness of each new sunrise, whether I see it or not!
- Sweet sleep, soft pillows and heavy blankets
We have started our descent, and it’s time to stop building my list of blessings.
What would you add to expand my list? What makes your life wonderful? Share with us in the comments below!
Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow.James 1:17 NLT